The following kid friendly breakfast ideas are well balanced to include a variety of grains, milk, fruit, vegetables, meats and beans. Involving your kids in the kitchen provides a multitude of benefits!
- Ready-to-eat cereal served with skim milk and fresh fruit plus a protein such as yogurt instead of milk or a hard boiled egg.
- Smoothies can be made with skim milk, Greek yogurt, fruit and several ice cubes with a drizzle of honey or real maple syrup. Frozen fruit pieces make an icier version.
- Whole wheat toast, muffin or tortilla topped with melted cheese, cream cheese, nut butter. Serve with fruit and skim milk.
- Apple and cheese slices served with whole wheat crackers such as Ak-Mak or Wasa. Serve with skim milk.
- Pancakes can be made with whole wheat flour in the batter for a healthier version. Make batter ahead, keeping liquid and solid ingredients separate until ready to cook. Serve with fruit, real maple syrup and skim milk.
- Scrambled eggs with a variety of additions kids can make to personalize their eggs. Prep additions such as chopping and blanching veggies ahead of time.
- Whole wheat French Toast served with fruit, real maple syrup and skim milk.
- Homemade granola. Make it ahead on the weekend.
- Leftover dinner items such as spaghetti made with whole wheat or a veggie topped pizza slice. Serve with fruit and skim milk.
Sarah Hortman RD’s Kid Approved Homemade Granola Recipe:
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Yield: 12 Cups
4 Cups old fashioned rolled oats
2 cups sliced or slivered almonds
1-2 Cups unsweetened coconut flakes, optional
½ Cup honey
¼ Cup vegetable oil, canola is a good choice as it helps to balance Omega-3 and Omega-6 fats in our diet
1 ½ Cups dried apricots, diced
1 Cup dried figs, diced
1 Cup dried tart cherries, diced
½ Cup dried cranberries
1 Cup unsalted walnuts, which contain healthy Omega-3 fats, chopped
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Toss the oats, coconut and almonds in a large bowl. Stir the honey and oil together in a small bowl then pour over the dried ingredients. Stir together until well mixed and coated evenly with oil and honey mixture. Divide evenly onto 2 large sheet pans and bake, stirring every 10 minutes until the mixture turns an even golden brown, about 45 – 60 minutes.
Remove the granola from the oven and stir occasionally until cool enough to handle. Stir in apricots, figs, tart cherries, cranberries and walnuts. Store the cooled granola in an airtight container. Enjoy!